Skip to main content

Theatre 2015 review.

It's that time of year again, ubiquitous top this and top that, so not to be left out, here's some theatre ranking...


10. Saturday Night Forever 

A late entry, the second to last production I saw this year and one that really will stick with me. Full review is here, but what I loved was a combination of humour and emotion. It felt incredibly intimate and personal and one of the most engaging nights I've had in the theatre this year.

9. Edward Scissorhands

Not a new production for this year but new to me, so I'm including it. I'm a massive fan of Matthew Bourne's work, and although the film isn't a favourite of mine (I think I've seen it once) this production is just magical. It's also what Bourne does best-real storytelling through dance. And there was snow, magical snow.

8. Beneth the Streets (Punchdrunk/Hijinx)

This production for me (reviewed in detail here) was firstly a next to perfect example of what inclusive theatre should look like. Second it was a damn brilliant piece of immersive theatre. I'm a big fan of Punchdrunk's work and this was a glorious little (by their standards!) production. It had everything I could want from an immersive piece and I finally got the Punchdrunk "1 to 1" experience (with a local actor I've long admired as a bonus).

7. Blue Sky Festival (The Other Room at Porters)

This may be cheating slightly as not technically one performance. But in the spirit of the 'work in progress' festival I felt it was unfair to single out a single performance. And the festival itself-the sum of it's parts-is what made it so special. Showcasing a diverse range of plays and writers at varying stages of their careers-while also giving actors and directors a chance to explore and perform in a supportive place, this is one of the things that makes The Other Room so special. I could have built half of this list from work in this theatre, but I'll settle for this brilliant festival that showed the talent Cardiff has to offer (and that London isn't the centre of the theatrical universe. Check out The Other Room here.


6. Finding Neverland

I was going to put this in a 'guilty pleasures' or 'shouldn't love this as much as I do' category. But I don't believe in guilty pleasures, theatre or otherwise. If it makes you happy it makes you happy. And goddamn if this combination of Peter Pan and Gary Barlow didn't make me happy. I've been singing it ever since (which is either my desire to be Laura Michele Kelly or Gary Barlow I'm not sure) But it was also a lovely, well produced musical with a book incredibly witty (and so British it was wasted on the Americans) by James Graham. So I'm a proud Neverland fan. It even exorcised the demons of working a Christmas show based on Peter Pan a few years ago, at which point if I ever saw Tinkerbell again I was certainly not clapping to save that little monster's life. This time, I clapped.

5. Sweeney Todd (WNO)


I'm a bit of a Sondheim snob, and 'I want to see a 1970s set version where Mrs Lovett eats a pie off Sweeney's crotch' never featured high on my list of Sweeney production wishes, I loved this version. Scary German-accented Sweeney certainly had the menace for the role, and the pipes to match. And hearing that glorious score played by the Welsh National Opera orchestra and chorus was truly glorious. And despite the odd sounding premise, the whole production was full of fascinating directing choices that made me think about this familiar piece over again.


4. Spring Awakening 


Not only is this a better version of the original, it's just an incredible piece of theatre. Deaf West take hearing and deaf actors, as well as, in this case other actors with disabilities, and put them together in one inclusive performance. Inclusive for both deaf actors and audience members the show combines American Sign Language and surtitles incorporated into the performance. The integration of written word alongside the ASL is done in a logical, manner and the ASL itself far from being a barrier to performance really enhances it-as in signing it's as much about the intention as the actually 'writing' of the word. The Deaf West re-staging of Spring Awakening is both a masterstroke in showing how inclusive performance should be done, it's also a masterclass in how to take apart a show and put it back together better than before.



3. A View From a Bridge 

Usually when I travel to New York I have a rule: nothing I could have seen in London (or has announced a transfer so will see in London) and nothing I've seen before. I broke these rules for A View From a Bridge, and if my #1 and #2 shows weren't so damned special themselves, this would be hands down the best thing this year. I saw it in the cinema so technically I didn't cheat my own rule, and the chance to see it up close from the stage seats in New York was just too tempting. It didn't disappoint. Mark Strong is an utter powerhouse in every respect in this production, and taking on not only a monster of a play, but a stripped down and turned inside out production from Ivo Van Hove. Also any chance to see both Nicola Walker and Russell Tovey in the flesh

2. Hamilton


There's little I can say that hasn't already been written about Lin Manuel Miranda's tour de force of 2015. I was a reluctant convert, but much like my 'guilty pleasure' comment above-just because everyone else on the planet seems to love it, is no reason not to. Hamilton hooked me from it's impecably produced cast recording, and I by a stroke of unebelivable luck won a ticket to see it live. As a piece, do I think it's the second coming of musical theatre? well it's still too early to say. What I can say is Hamilton is clever in a way that doesn’t feel laboured or pretentious.  There are layers and layers to be unpicked, references to the history it’s based on, references to musical theatre history, nods to rap and hip hop history and integrated musical elements that are brilliantly integrated and executed. And I've not stopped listening to it, or unpicking it since I heard it. So for me that's certainly enough to put it in my top ten.



1. As Is

There's almost nothing I can say, or want to say about this piece other than it was absouletly the best theatrical thing to happen to me this year. I'm far too close to it to make any sensible artistic judgements. But having spent too many years with my head in HIV/AIDS theatre, I could not have asked for a better play, or a better production of this. My more detailed ramblings here and here. But for me what I loved so much about Andrew Keates' production of this play was it struck right to the heart of William Hoffman's writing, allowing the words (through some outstanding performances) to speak for themselves. Theatre at it's best is sometimes simply being in a room together and sharing a story, and over all the times I saw this that is what I felt most strongly, and that, as well as my personal attachment to this play/production is why it's undoubtably my number 1 production of 2015.

And a random collection of favourite performers (in no particular order)


1. Mark Gatiss (Three Days in the Country)

Because a year without Mark Gatiss is a sad year indeed. But also because his proposal scene in 'Three Days in the Country' (NT) was worth the ticket price alone. In general his hapless Doctor was well worth seeing the play for.

2. Javier Munoz (Hamilton)

Understudy to Lin-Manuel Miranda in 'Hamilton' and a difficult pair of boots to fill. Personally I like his voice better than Miranda's and his performance was exceptional. 

3. Kevin Kern (Finding Neverland)

The 'not being that bloke from Glee in Finding Neverland' and out singing the man he understudies.

4. Shaun Evans (Hello/Goodbye)

For being less Scouse even when playing a Scouser on stage, and for being a damned lovely human being when I ran into him after. But also for giving what was hands down the most heartwarming performance I saw all year.

5. Lee Haven Jones (Hamlet, Theatr Clwd)

For firstly, being Hamlet in the year of THAT Hamlet. And for doing a damned fine job of it regardless of who else was being the Dane this year.


Best Dog (very important category) 


Analeigh Ashford gets honourable mention here, for the best human dog I've ever seen in Sylvia. Best actual dog I'm going with the Shakespeare in Love dog, for being both excellent canine and recurring joke.


Best Set

For sheer 'What in the holy hell is that and how did it get in here' the Barbican/Cumberbatch Hamlet. On a smaller scale the 'Hello/Goodbye' set at the Hampstead was a masterclass in stage mangment interval turnaround, and contained some excellent working appliances.

Best food on stage


Shaun Evans in 'Hello/Goodbye' did some excellent breakfast making, as did an ensemble member in 'High Society' (unfortunately I was very full and felt slight ill at the smell...)


Best Celebrity Spots


A-plus for initially missing John Major at High Society. But when combined with Obama (technically entering a theatre) it's obviously been a year for political leaders...


Best Curtain Call Speech for Charity


Nope not Cumberbatch. Though valiant effort. For comedy value, Laura Michele Kelly for "Surprise I'm not dead. Come here my fake children pass me the poster" For actually being the most moving, Krysta Rodriguez, for recounting the story of her breast cancer diagnosis and the support Broadway Cares gave her.


Worst Audience Members of the Year


Certain members of The Globe 'in crowd' for attempts to sabotage 'normal people' during closing weekend; you give other dedicated theatre fans a bad name, theatre is there for us all to enjoy and share and the competitive nature of it all put me off ever being a groundling again, and certainly ever setting foot there in the final weekend. Being a fan should mean wanting to share the thing you love, not keep others out.


Close second: the "Ladies" who thought Jersey Boys was a sing-along night.


So that was 2015 in theatre....what does 2016 hold? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Fangirls (here we go again)

There's some arguments that come around and you think 'really? we're still talking about this?' but also you're not really surprised.

So when it was annoucned Tom Hiddleston was teaming up with Kenneth Brannagh for a production of Hamlet, it was inevitable that the cries of  'Silly fangirls' began. Once again we're confronted with comments that girls 'Only want to see it because he's in it' and 'Aren't interested in the play'.

And because I am a woman, therefore incapable of thinking of him other than in terms of his looks....here he above with a cat looking cute.

But just like Mr H there is both petting a cat, reading a newspaper and looking brooding, I'd like to point out that it's entierly possible to be interested in more than one aspect of a thing at the same time. And secondly I say so what the audience is just there to look at his cheekbones?

I don't have a horse in this race. I think Hiddles is a damn good ac…

Why Elliott & Harper is the company I've been waiting for

I can never resist a good (bad) pun in a title. As the first production from Elliott & Harper opens its doors for previews tonight, it’s worth pausing to think what this new production company means and why indeed we need more like it. Something of a ‘power house’ company formed of Marianne Elliott and Chris Harper. Both coming from the National Theatre- as Director and Producer respectively- there’s a real understanding of both the craft of theatre and the audiences that do- and don’t- come to it there. And theatre made by and produced by theatre people, in the commercial realm. That’s potentially very exciting.








Firstly, the act of two theatre people who really love theatre, really understand theatre both from an audience point of view and an artistic point of view. Secondly, one of the UK’s best directors striking out on her own to make theatre on her own terms. Thirdly, and you bet it’s an important factor, a woman artistic director. It’s all exciting, and has the potential, …

Angels at the National (a reflection before the review)

I had to do a Kushner and give this post a long subtitle.

When I called my PhD thesis "Angels at the National" (I write terrible titles I know) I never thought I'd be able to say it again. Of course, the Gods like to have a laugh at my expense so mere months after I bound the copy, Rufus Norris and Marianne Elliot got together and decided that I clearly hadn't had enough to write about. 


But how does it feel to have the thing that has lived in your head for so long, back, brought to life in front of you? As much as I love the plays, I'm also conditioned to be hyper critical. I know every line (I amazed/freaked out Elliot herself with my ability to know exact quotations on demand). And of course, I have my own expectations about how it should be. How then would it feel to go back? 



At the end of Part 1 I found myself leaning on the railings by the Thames, trying to compose myself and my thoughts enough to move. At the end of Part 2, I'm sure I had forgotten how …