Skip to main content

Selfies and Make Up

The latest Facebook 'craze' has been women taking 'selfies' without make up to raise awareness and money for Breast Cancer charities. It's a lovely idea, not started by the charity itself but showing to have real results in money raised and hopefully in awareness by people linking to their website and resources. I took part, I actually donated to teenage cancer trust, firstly because it's my nominator's cancer chairty of choice, secondly because I feel we should seize this massive fundrasing opportunity and spread the donanations to as as many cancer charities as possible.

Here's mine:











And here's an "after" shot too:





I think the idea itself is lovely-women showing natural beauty and empowering each other has got to be a good thing. I love all the comments women are making 'so goregous' 'oh look how pretty you are' 'look at your pretty eyes' etc etc. It's supportive, it's empowering. I love that men are liking the photos, saying how pretty girls look. What I don't love is men saying "see you don't need all that horrible make up anyway".


To me a man (or anyone) saying I don't need make up is as bad as telling me I do need make up. For several reasons.

Firstly it implies you have any say in what I put on my face (or anywhere else). You don't. Nobody does. You can tell me it looks daft, you can tell me puce lipstick really isn't my colour or that electric blue eyeliner went out with white pvc coats. But don't tell me not to use it at all. The only analogy I can think of is that I can tell a bloke that his choice in facial hair is frankly ridiculous, but if the man wants to grow a handlebar mustache well that's his business.

Second the idea that men can tell women not to wear make up implies we do it for them. Newsflash boys, we don't. Putting aside, oh I don't know the entire lesbian community who, shock horror also enjoy make up but don't enjoy boys, Women don't wear make up for men. I can hand on heart say I have never considered a man's opinion when putting on my make up. Except maybe Gok Wan's.

This is momentarily putting aside the centuries of conditioning to conform to what men view as desirable in fashion, appearance etc for women. Which is a blog, not least a book for another day. But what I'm arguing is that on a day to day basis women putting on make up don't give a second thought to what men are thinking about it.

We wear make up for a variety of reasons. Mainly to feel good about ourselves. I don't need make up to feel good about myself but it helps.

Telling women to 'lay off the slap' is also insulting to those who do need it for confidence. While I feel confident enough to go out without it now, years of bad skin meant that wasn't/isn't always possible. I have scars all over my face. I have scars on my cheeks from terrible adult acne which leaves scars only laser surgery can fix. I have a scar on my mouth from who knows what (I'm a clumsy oaf) and currently a cut there are well (again clumsy oaf) I have a scar always hidden by my hair where the doctor cut my head when I was born. None of these are terrible, years attending skin clinics for my issues there taught me I have it relatively easy. But I still want to hide them sometimes.

Then there's the simple fact that make up is fun! I enjoy make up. I enjoy experimenting, I enjoy playing with styles, techniques, products and colours. In the same way anyone who knows me knows my nails are rarely 'naked' because I love to experiment with nail polish, I also like nothing more than experimenting with new eyeliner. I enjoy matching my eye shadow to my outfit, I enjoy making myself look a little bit different with a bit of colour. It's not hiding my 'natural beauty' it's enhancing it, but also playing with it. Again boys, you grow facial hair with the aim of making yourselves look more grown up, more masculine, more like Poirot. That's your call. (I'm coming down hard on facial hair, I do in fact love a good beard)

And yes I also enjoy not looking like an extra from 'Shaun of the Dead' by concealing the massive dark circles under my eyes.

Make up does give me confidence. It helps me feel pretty in the same way styling my hair or putting on nice clothes does. Yes it helps me compensate a bit when I'm feeling a bit rough (see dark circles) but it isn't a substitute. And most of us know that.

I'm not innocent of make up commentary. I've made remarks about girls who are as orange as a bottle of tango, or who have that much eyeliner on they look like they've been punched. I've looked at a women on tv and said 'blimey love did you put that on with a trowel' but it's not my place to say these girls shouldn't wear make up.

I think it's great for a man to tell a women she looks beautiful with no make up on. I think it's great for him to tell her she looks really nice when she's made up and dressed up for a night out (or even just a day at work) I don't think it's great to tell her she shouldn't wear make up. Likewise it's really not cool to tell a women 'blimey get some slap on love you look like death' just in case anyone was wondering....


Anyway back to the point. If you haven't (and blokes I'm looking at you again now) donante to one of these charities:

Cancer Research UK
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/

Breast Cancer Research:
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/support-us/campaigns/fundraising-for-breast-cancer-research?gclid=CLzxyPKqnr0CFQKWtAod9DEAAw

Teenage Cancer Trust
https://www.teenagecancertrust.org/get-involved/make-a-donation/instant-donate/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Fangirls (here we go again)

There's some arguments that come around and you think 'really? we're still talking about this?' but also you're not really surprised.

So when it was annoucned Tom Hiddleston was teaming up with Kenneth Brannagh for a production of Hamlet, it was inevitable that the cries of  'Silly fangirls' began. Once again we're confronted with comments that girls 'Only want to see it because he's in it' and 'Aren't interested in the play'.

And because I am a woman, therefore incapable of thinking of him other than in terms of his looks....here he above with a cat looking cute.

But just like Mr H there is both petting a cat, reading a newspaper and looking brooding, I'd like to point out that it's entierly possible to be interested in more than one aspect of a thing at the same time. And secondly I say so what the audience is just there to look at his cheekbones?

I don't have a horse in this race. I think Hiddles is a damn good ac…

Why Elliott & Harper is the company I've been waiting for

I can never resist a good (bad) pun in a title. As the first production from Elliott & Harper opens its doors for previews tonight, it’s worth pausing to think what this new production company means and why indeed we need more like it. Something of a ‘power house’ company formed of Marianne Elliott and Chris Harper. Both coming from the National Theatre- as Director and Producer respectively- there’s a real understanding of both the craft of theatre and the audiences that do- and don’t- come to it there. And theatre made by and produced by theatre people, in the commercial realm. That’s potentially very exciting.








Firstly, the act of two theatre people who really love theatre, really understand theatre both from an audience point of view and an artistic point of view. Secondly, one of the UK’s best directors striking out on her own to make theatre on her own terms. Thirdly, and you bet it’s an important factor, a woman artistic director. It’s all exciting, and has the potential, …

Angels at the National (a reflection before the review)

I had to do a Kushner and give this post a long subtitle.

When I called my PhD thesis "Angels at the National" (I write terrible titles I know) I never thought I'd be able to say it again. Of course, the Gods like to have a laugh at my expense so mere months after I bound the copy, Rufus Norris and Marianne Elliot got together and decided that I clearly hadn't had enough to write about. 


But how does it feel to have the thing that has lived in your head for so long, back, brought to life in front of you? As much as I love the plays, I'm also conditioned to be hyper critical. I know every line (I amazed/freaked out Elliot herself with my ability to know exact quotations on demand). And of course, I have my own expectations about how it should be. How then would it feel to go back? 



At the end of Part 1 I found myself leaning on the railings by the Thames, trying to compose myself and my thoughts enough to move. At the end of Part 2, I'm sure I had forgotten how …