Skip to main content

Running away from Men in Roath...and other dating adventures...


So in a possibly misguided burst of enthusiasm a friend and I declared Autumn 'Dating Season' in which we would put more (read, any at all) effort into dating. Another friend was roped in and we thought we had a genius idea.

Yesterday I found myself running from a farmer's market to avoid a man.

So far, not so great then?

I would have thought that online dating was in fact perfect for me. I spend way too much time working at my computer, and way too much time looking for distractions so it seems too good to be true. Sadly it is. Aside from managing to briefly date a member of a well known male voice choir, which felt more like a therapy session than a date,  my online dalliances have been unsuccessful. Earlier in the year I logged onto a dating website, more for the purposes of procrastination than actual intention (and who doesn't window shop a little on match.com every now and then?) the third person down was my old boss. I closed the window and ran (metaphorically) this week I ran away from another online date (literally).

But I also think how is someone in my position supposed to meet someone? I turn again to my favourite radio sitcom 'Cabin Pressure'

"Because when you're over 30 your on your raft, and everyone else in on their raft, and occasionally the rafts bump into one another but there's no raft hopping. And I've ended up on an all boy raft"

Though  I'm not quite thirty, the point still stands. Everyone is in their little groups and it's difficult to break out. I've also got the unfortunate added element of having friends who are mainly younger than me. Which is fine for friends but breaks my, as I once so eloquently put it "Don't do anyone younger than you" rule. Though perhaps given that I'm writing this blog, I should consider revising or tearing up the rulebook entirely.

This is all PhD relevant as doing a PhD doesn't exactly grant you time (or inclination) to peruse a series of romantic escapades. And many an established relationship has been broken by a PhD. It does make you rather self absorbed, and also particularly time and cash poor as well as stressed. Not anyone's ideal date really.  In my case the PhD itself almost physically repels a lot of men (not just men). What most people here the first time I explain it is 'Gay' and 'AIDS' In fact, the single best date I've had (not that there's a great crop to choose from) was the guy who actually listened and wanted to have a conversation about attitudes to gay people and AIDS. Major brownie points. The subject matter aside, I think girls doing a PhD scares a certain breed of men too, and granted they're not the breed I want to be dating anyway but clever women = scary to some. Their loss.

Now I'm aware that my timing here isn't impeccable. That maybe the final period of my PhD isn't the best time for eliciting romantic hassles. But when is a good time really? I've waited this long, there's always been some reason to put off putting effort in, or waiting for someone to drop in my lap. And actually a midst all the stress and worry, sometimes it would be nice to be taken out of all that and feel like I was liked for who I am and not just be those three letters 'PhD' but be four different letters a G.I.R.L. But then who wants a slightly odd PhD girl anyway?

I feel like I should write an honest online profile something like "Female, 28 (ish), PhD student quite clever at some things, extraordinarily dumb at others. Fairly (very) geeky (about many things not just PhD topic). Very accident prone and clumsy. Odd working hours. Rubbish car. Likes dogs not cats. Makes a good cake. Short hair, like really short. Weird (sometimes filthy) sense of humour. Time wasters need not apply."

But that's the thing, how do you find anyone to apply? My Mother says I scare men (thanks Mum). I've spent my life bouncing from job to job, I collect friends from all over without a cohesive group. Maybe they could help? So friends of mine, send me your men, go on I dare you. (maybe don't send any valuable ones my way just in case I do break them)

Of course if there's any men I already know who don't think I might eat them alive, who think I don't look like the back of a bus and aren't scared of the letters 'P. H. D' they could always ask me out for a cup of coffee. The worst that will is happen is I'll hide from you at a farmer's market....


p.s it's been brought to my attention it isn't clear exactly WHY I was running away from a man in a farmers market. Just to be clear, we had been on an actual date...and he was nice, perfectly pleasant. Unfortunately he had a habit of asking me out about 24 hours before he actually wanted to meet. Anyone who knows me, and particularly anyone who has tried to make a date with me lately knows I need a bit more notice. He also seemed rather clingy in general, which again sends this independent woman running for the hills...or in this case a pumpkin stall. Anyway, I'd not 5 minutes before told him 'sorry I can't meet today, and actually things look a bit busy generally...' when who do I see talking to the artisan Baker....that very same man. To that man I'm sorry, it wasn't mean to be. To any other men who may consider asking me out...I promise not to hide behind the pumpkins in future.

Comments

  1. Here's what I've learned. Don't discount anyone because of age: I ended up with R by chance because I had given myself a cut off point that was very close to my own age in either direction (you'd have been too young), when I messaged R on the website, it was entirely on a "haha, I know you" basis. And look, she's 8 years younger than me and I'm as happy as a pig in mud. Perhaps not the most flattering analogy now I come to think of it, but you know what I mean.

    I went on some godawful internet dates though, and maybe having a coffee with them and never seeing them again is a better strategy than hiding at a farmers market? :-P

    You might intimidate some men, but would you really want to waste any time on a man who was that easily intimidated? Seems like he'd get on your nerves fairly quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Although I am forever reeling from the rejection of being too young ;)

    I am learning to be more flexiable, more open, more easy going. Having met a lot of younger men I'd actually happily have in my life, I'm slowly reassessing my boundaries. Having said that I won't waste my time on people either.

    Funnily enough, I did have a coffee with said man, he then showed up at my work and I then politely declined another meet (and ten minutes later was hiding behind some pumpkins!)

    p.s I think a pig in mud's happiness is a state we should all aspire to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Fangirls (here we go again)

There's some arguments that come around and you think 'really? we're still talking about this?' but also you're not really surprised.

So when it was annoucned Tom Hiddleston was teaming up with Kenneth Brannagh for a production of Hamlet, it was inevitable that the cries of  'Silly fangirls' began. Once again we're confronted with comments that girls 'Only want to see it because he's in it' and 'Aren't interested in the play'.

And because I am a woman, therefore incapable of thinking of him other than in terms of his looks....here he above with a cat looking cute.

But just like Mr H there is both petting a cat, reading a newspaper and looking brooding, I'd like to point out that it's entierly possible to be interested in more than one aspect of a thing at the same time. And secondly I say so what the audience is just there to look at his cheekbones?

I don't have a horse in this race. I think Hiddles is a damn good ac…

Why Elliott & Harper is the company I've been waiting for

I can never resist a good (bad) pun in a title. As the first production from Elliott & Harper opens its doors for previews tonight, it’s worth pausing to think what this new production company means and why indeed we need more like it. Something of a ‘power house’ company formed of Marianne Elliott and Chris Harper. Both coming from the National Theatre- as Director and Producer respectively- there’s a real understanding of both the craft of theatre and the audiences that do- and don’t- come to it there. And theatre made by and produced by theatre people, in the commercial realm. That’s potentially very exciting.








Firstly, the act of two theatre people who really love theatre, really understand theatre both from an audience point of view and an artistic point of view. Secondly, one of the UK’s best directors striking out on her own to make theatre on her own terms. Thirdly, and you bet it’s an important factor, a woman artistic director. It’s all exciting, and has the potential, …

Angels at the National (a reflection before the review)

I had to do a Kushner and give this post a long subtitle.

When I called my PhD thesis "Angels at the National" (I write terrible titles I know) I never thought I'd be able to say it again. Of course, the Gods like to have a laugh at my expense so mere months after I bound the copy, Rufus Norris and Marianne Elliot got together and decided that I clearly hadn't had enough to write about. 


But how does it feel to have the thing that has lived in your head for so long, back, brought to life in front of you? As much as I love the plays, I'm also conditioned to be hyper critical. I know every line (I amazed/freaked out Elliot herself with my ability to know exact quotations on demand). And of course, I have my own expectations about how it should be. How then would it feel to go back? 



At the end of Part 1 I found myself leaning on the railings by the Thames, trying to compose myself and my thoughts enough to move. At the end of Part 2, I'm sure I had forgotten how …