Skip to main content

Cabin Pressure (Or having a Martin Crieff kind of day)

“And it’s so frustrating when you know, without any doubt at all, what you were put on this Earth to do, and you just can’t seem to persuade anyone else.”
John Finnmore Cabin Pressure 

The above is from my favourite radio drama Cabin Pressure. Do check it out if you haven’t heard it. It is hilariously funny misadventures of a charter airline. Except they’ve only got one plane, and you can’t put one plane in a line.




One of the reasons I love Cabin Pressure is it’s ability to meld laugh until you hurt, and entirely quotable (really, ask my friends to tell you how many Otters you can fit in plane) but it also as the best comedy does, weds just the right amount of angst and heart with the silliness. And for me that is epitomised by the struggles of the show’s Captain-Martin Crieff. 


I really identify with the Martin. Firstly Martin just has the worst luck in the world, he can’t ever win a bet or a word game with his smug co-pilot Douglas; he took far too many goes to get his pilot’s licence, and seems to be the only pilot in the world who can’t get at date. Basically if Martin’s involved things seem to go wrong.
Now in a humorous off hand way ‘Having a Martin day’ has become shorthand for me having one of those days where nothing seems to go right (which is frequently) And it’s true I don’t think I’ve ever won a bet or a game in my life, I took my driving test far too many times, and regular readers know my luck in the dating department.

‘Not your day’ co-pilot Douglas tells him after another bout of losing ‘Not my life’ Martin responds. And I often feel the same way.
Martin tried and tried to become a pilot, taking his test so many times that his Dad none to subtly left him his van and tools in his will, a sign to give up and get a proper job. Now analogies with my own driving test aside (another, far more painful yet amusing anecdote) I’ve lived that, I think I’m still living it. All I wanted to do was 1. Work in the theatre and 2. Get my PhD.  Like Martin it has taken me many, many tries and even now I kind of sort of am doing what I want to….well it’s still not quite going right. Firstly like Martin people don’t seem to believe I am what I am, people often mistake him for the co-Pilot and people often seem to think I’m still not quite what I am. Just because I’m a student doesn’t mean I’m the equivalent of a first year undergrad-I teach the first year undergrads! And just because I’m not at Oxford doesn’t mean it’s not worth anything. Likewise in theatre, just because I’m not on stage doesn’t mean I failed.
I feel a stab of jealousy at other’s opportunities or successes, much like Martin does when he says to his co-pilot ‘It doesn’t help that I have to sit next to you every day’ when you’re having a Martin day (or life) the whole world seems full of Douglases, those for whom everything seems to be falling into place perfectly and repeatedly. I feel terrible for it but I do. It doesn’t help that some of my friends who are younger are still in the ‘Wow such exciting things await anything is possible stage’ I was there five, maybe six years ago. Until the opportunities were never there or came to nothing. 

Doesn’t mean I ever gave up, just like Martin never gives up on being a pilot or getting a job in a better airline (or an actual airline). Now just like in ‘Cabin Pressure’ I’m sure all is not what it seems, they’ve been fired from jobs at ‘Air England’ or their wives have left them for Tai Chi instructors or the like. But sitting next to a Douglass hearing how wonderful life is and how wonderfully clever the rest of the world is just makes us Martins of the world want to curl up in the flight deck (or under our desk) and stay there. 

Martin may not be the best pilot in the world but he loves what he does and he works hard and he keeps trying. No matter how many disasters come his way he still does the best he can. And actually at the end of the most recent series proved himself to be quite the competent  pilot when it counted.  So what are us Martins to do? Well nothing really, keep plodding on knowing we are doing what we love, what we’ve always dreamed of, and we’re not that bad at it either. Even if the rest of the world doesn’t see it as worthwhile, even if it doesn’t always go to plan. 

And you can fit 100 otters in a plan. But none in the flight deck. Not even hypothetical otters are allowed in the flight deck. 

Comments

  1. I am definitely having one of those (days/weeks/months) (today/this week/this month). Cheers for that though, made me feel a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one on Sunday and it's still happening, but it taught me a valuable lesson - more on my blog! Love your pixie look - just fab!xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Fangirls (here we go again)

There's some arguments that come around and you think 'really? we're still talking about this?' but also you're not really surprised.

So when it was annoucned Tom Hiddleston was teaming up with Kenneth Brannagh for a production of Hamlet, it was inevitable that the cries of  'Silly fangirls' began. Once again we're confronted with comments that girls 'Only want to see it because he's in it' and 'Aren't interested in the play'.

And because I am a woman, therefore incapable of thinking of him other than in terms of his looks....here he above with a cat looking cute.

But just like Mr H there is both petting a cat, reading a newspaper and looking brooding, I'd like to point out that it's entierly possible to be interested in more than one aspect of a thing at the same time. And secondly I say so what the audience is just there to look at his cheekbones?

I don't have a horse in this race. I think Hiddles is a damn good ac…

Why Elliott & Harper is the company I've been waiting for

I can never resist a good (bad) pun in a title. As the first production from Elliott & Harper opens its doors for previews tonight, it’s worth pausing to think what this new production company means and why indeed we need more like it. Something of a ‘power house’ company formed of Marianne Elliott and Chris Harper. Both coming from the National Theatre- as Director and Producer respectively- there’s a real understanding of both the craft of theatre and the audiences that do- and don’t- come to it there. And theatre made by and produced by theatre people, in the commercial realm. That’s potentially very exciting.








Firstly, the act of two theatre people who really love theatre, really understand theatre both from an audience point of view and an artistic point of view. Secondly, one of the UK’s best directors striking out on her own to make theatre on her own terms. Thirdly, and you bet it’s an important factor, a woman artistic director. It’s all exciting, and has the potential, …

Angels at the National (a reflection before the review)

I had to do a Kushner and give this post a long subtitle.

When I called my PhD thesis "Angels at the National" (I write terrible titles I know) I never thought I'd be able to say it again. Of course, the Gods like to have a laugh at my expense so mere months after I bound the copy, Rufus Norris and Marianne Elliot got together and decided that I clearly hadn't had enough to write about. 


But how does it feel to have the thing that has lived in your head for so long, back, brought to life in front of you? As much as I love the plays, I'm also conditioned to be hyper critical. I know every line (I amazed/freaked out Elliot herself with my ability to know exact quotations on demand). And of course, I have my own expectations about how it should be. How then would it feel to go back? 



At the end of Part 1 I found myself leaning on the railings by the Thames, trying to compose myself and my thoughts enough to move. At the end of Part 2, I'm sure I had forgotten how …