Skip to main content

It’s like the first day of school



This week’s title comes from what my mother said earlier when I was showing her what I intended to wear to meet my new students.  Yes Mother dear, that’s because it is.

Finally it’s the first week of term, and I’m coiled tighter than a spring with excitement and anticipation. I don’t remember feeling this way last year, perhaps I was just filled with blind terror at the challenge of teaching and a PhD or perhaps I just blocked everything out (well until the moment before the first class began.)
Last year minutes before the first class of the year I was filled with incredible fear and nervousness-could I do this? One of the things I’d always wanted had literally been handed to me on a plate and there’s always that nagging feeling that, no I can’t really do that I’ll fall flat on my face.

I didn’t, well not much. There were minor slip ups along the way, things I look back at and cringe about. But also things I’m incredibly proud of. This year I’ll be waiting outside that door dying to get in and teach. I cannot wait to meet my new students and see my old students, I’m so excited about the new ideas I have for teaching this year I’m bouncing off the walls. I’m getting to be involved in drama properly for the first time and I can’t wait to get my ‘hands dirty’ there, I’m completly inspired by the drama students and the work they do and can’t wait to feed of the creativity there and hopefully contribute some of my own. I’ve got crazy teaching ideas on some brilliant literature-from the graphic gothic of Batman to a Sherlock Holmes seminar that is probably going to make the first years think I’m out of my mind (I am, for the record) there are debates on gender to be had and presentations and essays to be read. And I can’t wait. (Though someone remind me of those words at 1am when I’m marking the 50th essay on the same book).

That and of course research, we’re finally entering stage two, the exciting stage, the stage of real research. And I’ve got some crazy ideas there too, things are taking a slightly different turn (more on that soon) and brings some possible exciting challenges (more on that too). I’m also using this blog to announce (and force my hand a little) that yes after all this time writing a critique on this area of plays I’m putting my money where my mouth is, or my pen to the page and starting to write something of my own on this topic. It’s a long way off, at the moment vague ideas in space (read: my too full mind) but it’s forming shapes. More on that soon too.

Meanwhile, I have to find shoes that match my ‘back to school’ outfit.

Comments

  1. If you get nervous, just know that you're a very likeable, competent and interesting lecturer. For reals.

    That's so exciting about your big reveal! I look forward to hearing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anna that's a lovely thing to hear! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Fangirls (here we go again)

There's some arguments that come around and you think 'really? we're still talking about this?' but also you're not really surprised.

So when it was annoucned Tom Hiddleston was teaming up with Kenneth Brannagh for a production of Hamlet, it was inevitable that the cries of  'Silly fangirls' began. Once again we're confronted with comments that girls 'Only want to see it because he's in it' and 'Aren't interested in the play'.

And because I am a woman, therefore incapable of thinking of him other than in terms of his looks....here he above with a cat looking cute.

But just like Mr H there is both petting a cat, reading a newspaper and looking brooding, I'd like to point out that it's entierly possible to be interested in more than one aspect of a thing at the same time. And secondly I say so what the audience is just there to look at his cheekbones?

I don't have a horse in this race. I think Hiddles is a damn good ac…

Why Elliott & Harper is the company I've been waiting for

I can never resist a good (bad) pun in a title. As the first production from Elliott & Harper opens its doors for previews tonight, it’s worth pausing to think what this new production company means and why indeed we need more like it. Something of a ‘power house’ company formed of Marianne Elliott and Chris Harper. Both coming from the National Theatre- as Director and Producer respectively- there’s a real understanding of both the craft of theatre and the audiences that do- and don’t- come to it there. And theatre made by and produced by theatre people, in the commercial realm. That’s potentially very exciting.








Firstly, the act of two theatre people who really love theatre, really understand theatre both from an audience point of view and an artistic point of view. Secondly, one of the UK’s best directors striking out on her own to make theatre on her own terms. Thirdly, and you bet it’s an important factor, a woman artistic director. It’s all exciting, and has the potential, …

Angels at the National (a reflection before the review)

I had to do a Kushner and give this post a long subtitle.

When I called my PhD thesis "Angels at the National" (I write terrible titles I know) I never thought I'd be able to say it again. Of course, the Gods like to have a laugh at my expense so mere months after I bound the copy, Rufus Norris and Marianne Elliot got together and decided that I clearly hadn't had enough to write about. 


But how does it feel to have the thing that has lived in your head for so long, back, brought to life in front of you? As much as I love the plays, I'm also conditioned to be hyper critical. I know every line (I amazed/freaked out Elliot herself with my ability to know exact quotations on demand). And of course, I have my own expectations about how it should be. How then would it feel to go back? 



At the end of Part 1 I found myself leaning on the railings by the Thames, trying to compose myself and my thoughts enough to move. At the end of Part 2, I'm sure I had forgotten how …